Sunday, August 26, 2007

Fifth Article

Yes!

I finally finished the fifth article, not to be confused with the fourth. Today, I write about Tony Blair. Honestly, I just dug this up from a reflection which I wrote after the news was announced to the world.

It may sound sarcastic at parts, but I am a writer of moods. I follow the writing and often, I have to comment on the issues most relevant to the part of the essay.

Honestly, I find Tony Blair a great man.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article1976763.ece

With research from other pages as well.

Mr. Blair has left office just one month and nineteen days earlier. It was reported in the papers widely of course. It has been ten years since Mr. Blair had first stepped into the doorway of 10 Downing Street.
As a result of his removal from office, Mr. Blair has been quite busy these few days. Between sending more soldiers to Iraq, doing farewell tours and being interviewed by pretty much every news station in the market, you would hardly expect him to find much free time.
In my opinion, Blair has had a great time as prime minister. Between garbled and contradictory reports from different news stations and comments from happy and unhappy people around the world, I can still roughly make out a general and somewhat grudging support for Mr. Blair and his policies.
I do not live in the United Kingdom, and thus I have not really been influenced my Mr. Blair’s policies. However, from news reports, comments from around the world , reports and audits, the signs generally point to a better Britain. Better education (somewhat), better health (controversial as NHS is heavily in debt) and brand new foreign policy which combines the idealistic with the gullible to boot!
Mr. Blair is the ideal politician, optimistic and able to stand up for his own views. He is a charismatic orator as well, persuasive and relevant. I would like to applaud him.
On another note, I would like to mourn the official 168 military soldiers from the United Kingdom who died on duty in Iraq. They died defending the idealistic and naïve programme which Mr. Blair insists on.
Sending people to their deaths is not funny.
Blair’s dilemma is a dilemma which is perplexing, as Mr. George Yeo said during the 4th RI lecture, and not easy to make. Theoretically and in the long run, it is better to stamp out dangerous insurgents who would threaten the lives of anyone who isn’t Islamic. These insurgents would not stop until their demands are met, that is (as I quote from an article I have read somewhere), when George Bush turns to Islam and Israel is sank under the sea.
Honestly, these insurgents do have to be stamped out, but probably not in such an ill-conceived and pathetic manner.
It is a pity that Mr. Blair’s career would be summarized as the Iraq war, which is most probable. He did improve Britain. In spite of all his hiccups, he is a really fine man, and an adept politician, the brightest the country has seen in a while. And he did what he thought was right.
Ouch! Your best and they still say not good enough.
Mr. Blair has stepped down one month and nineteen days earlier. It may be too late to toast him now, but I hope his legacy would exceed that of the Iraq War, and the world might recognize him as one of the most remarkable Labour politicians Britain has ever seen. I toast you Tony.

No comments: